Monday, September 20, 2010

A scare!!! (might be alittle grose and graphic) Part 1

Friday we had alittle scare. It started when I got up to get ready for work. I had alittle blood in my urine. I was thinking, "ok that's the first time (6:45am), let me see if it does it again and then I'll call the doctor" Well 9am rolled around and more came out when I went to the bathroom. By this time I was thinking I had some sort of infection (bladder, urine, etc)so I called the doctor's office and they couldn't get me in until 3pm because my doctor was in a meeting until then. Normally I think she is off on Fridays but she came in just for me! Anyway while waiting I worked and had a business meeting of my own and during that time the bleeding got to where it was excessively coming out! Then I started to worry! So mom carried me to the doctor's office and they checked Ryker's heartbeat and it was there and just as strong as ever, so that made me feel alittle better. Then Dr. Sheppard came in and examined my female area and pulled out a clot. I have marginal placenta previa.
There are 3 kinds of placenta previa:
Marginal: The placenta is against the cervix but does not cover the opening.
Partial: The placenta covers part of the cervical opening.
Complete: The placenta completely covers the cervical opening.
Placenta Previa occurs in 1 out of 200 pregnancies. It is more commom in women who have:
-Abnormally developed uterus
-Many previous pregnancies
-Mutiple pregnancy (twins, triplets, etc.)
-Scarring of the uterine wall caused by previous pregnancies, cesareans, uterine surgery, or abortions
OVERVIEW
Placenta Previa is a complication of pregnancy in which the placenta grows in the lowest part of the womb (uterus) and covers all or part of the opening to the cervix.
The placenta is the organ that nourishes the developing baby in the womb.
SYMPTOMS
The main symptom of the placenta previa is sudden, painless vaginal bleeding that often occurs near the end of the second trimester or beginning of the third trimester. In some cases, there is severe bleeding, or hemorrhage. The bleeding may stop on its own but can start again days or weeks later.
There may be uterine cramping with the bleeding. Labor sometimes starts with several days after heavy vaginal bleeding. However, in some cases, bleeding may not occur until after the labor starts.
TREATMENT
Treatment depends on the various factors:
-How much bleeding you had
-Whether the baby is developed enough to survive outside the uterus
-How much of the placenta is covering the cervix
-The position of the baby
-The number of previous births you have had
-Whether you are in labor
PREVENTION
This condition is not preventable.
COMPLICATIONS
Risks to the mother include:
-death
-major bleeding (hemorrhage)
-Shock
There is also an increased rick for infection, blood clots, and necessary blood transfusions.
Prematurity causes most infant deaths in cases of placenta previa. The baby may lose blood if the placenta separates from the wall of the uterus during labor. The baby also can lose blood when the uterus is opened during a C-section delivery!
Well I do have an infection so I'm on an antibiotic. I'm waiting on my culture to get back and today they called me and said I have to get to get a RhoGAM shot right away!! (I hate shots) I guess I'm getting payback since I haven't had any of the symptoms that everybody else has had during their pregnancies.
Maybe next time I'll have some better news!
Until next time....

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you and baby Ryker.... little buddy needs to hang in there for a little longer.

    ReplyDelete